Sunday Cooking Bonanza and Church.
I hope this Sunday finds everyone blessed and content. Today at church we began a series on "Questions" and today's questions is whether or not there is a God. Most of the information focused on religion and arguments between those who believe in God and those who don't etc. One of the things I am quite clear about is that I don't argue about "religion". My focus is and always will be on building, maintaining and growing in a relationship with God. I believe that no matter what denomination, religion or creed a person identifies with, if our primary focus is on building a relationship with God and not on the rules and regulations or interpretations of a particular religion then open dialogue with each other is possible. That is not to say that everyone is going to get along, however, we can respect each other's viewpoints even if we do not agree with them because we know that our ultimate goal is the same, growing together as a community and children of God, supporting each other and learning from each other as we walk in faith and continue to build our individual relationships with God.
On to the cooking.
BEET-CAULIFLOWER PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
This morning my morning smoothie before church I tried out a new vegetable.. you guessed it, beets!!. the jury is still out on that one :) It wasn't that it tasted bad, it's just that it will have to be an acquired taste.
1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 Beet
1 cup raw cauliflower
2 peaches
1 guava (seeded)
1 cup ice
Every thing went into my trusty ninja and was blended away for about 1 1/2 minutes to make sure all the vegetables and fruits were sufficiently pureed.
I will say it had a lovely color at the end :)
Grilled Chicken-Avocado Wrap
1 mini wrap
2 Tablespoon Pico De Gallo
1/2 Avocado (small)
3.8 oz grilled chicken
(yes those are my toes peeking into the picture :)
Put all together in a GREAT wrap!! nothing else was added, i simply heated up the chicken in the microwave and put everything together in the wrap and had a very nutritious Lunch!! If you have the ingredients at home to make this, give it a try!!
GLUTEN FREE TROPICAL BUNDT CAKE
Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix
1/2 Cup Canola or olive oil
3 large eggs
2 bananas
1/2 cup Dole tropical fruit mix (drained)
Prepare ingredients according to package
making sure not to overmix/over beat the mixture
Set aside and move on to the banana and tropical mix or you can reverse.
Mash 2 extra ripe bananas in a medium bowl until all large pieces are completely crushed.
Open can of Libby or Dole Fruit cocktail (preferably no sugar added variety) and drain the juice out. measure out 1/3 cup and add it to the banana mix.
Pour it into the Cake mix above and stir in for about 30 seconds.
Pour the mixture into prepared pan (per directions on Box.
Prepare oven to 395 degrees (different than on box)
Place pan in oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove from Oven and cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes, then transfer to plan and continue cooling before cutting and enjoying. :)
COCONUT FRIED PLANTAINS
I love plantians!! i was raised on plantains and I love cooking them, whether baked or boiled. I used to eat them fried all the time until I decided to start my health journey, then i realized that eating them fried is not unhealthy if I use the right type of oil, in other words the oil that I grew up on... coconut oil. We made our own coconut oil back home, it was an event in the village where I lived, buying oil at the store was a treat because everyone knew that you could make your own coconut oil and use if for cooking, for treating burns on your skin, or use it as lotion on your skin, use it for your hair and the list goes on... ahh I miss the pure coconut oil!!
First cut the plantains in half and then cut each half into 3 or 4 slices.
Heat 2-3 Tablespoon of coconut oil in sauce pan
Place plantains in the heated oil and be careful not to allow the coconut oil to burn.
Watch the plantains very carefully and turn them after 2 minutes or so when they are very golden brown as shown in the picture.
- Cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes
- if the plantains do not appear to be fully cooked, turn it over again and cook for another minute or so.
-remove from the heat and place on plate.
You may have to replenish the coconut oil in the pan during the entire process, do so one tsp at a time.
You can also put down paper towel on the plate to absorb any excess oil before eating. The coconut oil brings out even more flavor in the plantains than olive oil or any other oil will. Give it a try, it's a very tasty, healthy meal or treat.
Homemade Berry, Watermelon-Pineapple Yogurt
So I confess to having a serious sweet tooth.. no really I do, I don't think you may have noticed it by all the fruits that I eat or all the baked goods that I cleverly disguise in GF apparel, but I am letting it all out there now, sweets are my downfall. And when it comes to sweets, well icecream calls me everytime!! (it's an evil invention). I have no problem with chocolate, because I just don't like it and it doesn't taste good to me (I've been instructed to give my card to woman kind back many times because of that statement..heheheh) but when it comes to Icecream, especially cherry vanilla and strawberry cheesecake icecream (even though I don't like cheesecake and I remove the cheesecake chunks) well, it's all over. So when I saw a recipe on tumble to make a berry yogurt at home that was very healthy I jumped all over it. You mean I can satisfy my craving for faux icecream and not suffer the guilt???? I am so there!! and thus was born this creation in my kitchen in about 10 minutes. :)
Alot of strawberries (about 1 pint)
1 cup watermelon (seedless or seeds removed)
1 cup pineapple
1 cup Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
2 scoops vanilla Whey Protein
2 cups ice
Everything went into the blender (my ninja.. oh have i mentioned I am still loving it?)
Blend until all ingredients are nice and smooth and the ice is fully crushed.
Pour mixture into a container (with lid).
I found these containers at my local walmart. They are four in a series of varying sizes and all come with lids. I purchased them about 6 months ago for fruits and now I am glad I have them. :)
Place Mix into freezer and freeze for 4-6 hours.
BULGER VEGETABLE SALAD
Here is the BULGER VEGETABLE SALAD I cooked yesterday, I was great!! I adapted it from "Ambika's Kitchen" a site I found on the web that has alot o great vegetarian and Indian inspired foods. Growing up in the Caribbean we have a very heavy influence of Indian foods mixed into our Caribbean cuisine so that's perfect.
2 carrots
4 mushrooms
1/3 cup bell peppers
1/3 cup mixed onions
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Oil
Ginger
Paprika
Cumin
Options: Garlic, Mexican seasonings
2 tablespoon organic vegetable or chicken stock
3/4 cup organic bulger (soaked in water for an hour)
Chop the vegetables up according to your taste. I like mine chopped as finely as I could get it :) Here I have the carrots and mushrooms chopped and prepped ready for the saucepan. During this time the Bulger should have already been soaked for an hour.
Cook the bulger in 2 cups of water adding the organic vegetable/chicken stock to the water - for 20-25 minutes. At the end it should have absorb most of the water. Fluff and set aside.
Now heat the olive oil in the saucepan,
Add the vegetables and saute for about 8-10 minutes
Add the Bulger to the Vegetable mixture and season with the paprika, cumin and ginger. (can also season with optional seasons here as well)
Allow to simmer for 2 minutes on stove, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and allow the bulger to absorb the flavors,.
Pour into casserole dish or other serving dish and serve!!
Well that was a part of my day, all the recipe cards are going to be posted on the healthy recipes page. I hope everyone has as much fun trying out the recipes as I did making them. :) Have a blessed and safe day/night.
No comments:
Post a Comment